10 Reasons to study your Honours at LISOF
The proposed new Honours course will comprise a five-part structure. Each component is a real-world version of the subjects delivered under the accredited BA: Honours in Fashion, currently offered at Lisof, and includes a practical component. The fundamental concept is aligned to a constructivist paradigm whereby students build knowledge and accumulate skills through experience-based activity and ‘Action Research’. The NQF level 8 descriptors are satisfied through assessment of articulation and presentation of such experience and skill; facilitated by placing the students at a Host Company with an assigned Mentor.
The successful applicant will be considered through a stringent application process:•Application form including CV with reference letter•Minimum aggregate of 65% in all majors•Interview with the Host
Only 20 placements in total – 10 Lisof graduates and 10 external applicants.
The Honours programme is a full year course including Research Methodology, Fashion Culture and Trend Studies, Fashion Business Studies, and the Experiential Learning Module. The course is supported by the top South African fashion retailers and brands. During the work-integrated-learning period, you will apply your current academic knowledge in the real-world environment, as well as learn more about the fashion industry with this very hands-on practical experience. During your practical learning programme, LISOF will sponsor your accommodation at the partner retailers outside of Gauteng, saving you money.
- A higher-paying job can be commanded with an Honours degree.
- International employers are more likely to take on a South African candidate with an NQF 8 Honours over an NQF 7 degree.
- The 5-month experiential learning work placements have the potential to result in an immediate job after graduation.
- A common complaint from employers (with regard to any university candidate) is the lack of real – world experience and the need to ‘train’ the student into their company – this happens concurrently during study in our Honours programme.
- Some institutions offer either a full course work Honours or a full dissertation Honours – ours is a balanced mix of the two, plus the work-based experience is supported by South African Fashion Retailers and Designers offering the opportunity for the Honours student to work in his or her preferred field of study.
- Similarly, the design/practical component allows our Honours students to exit with an actual work- tested portfolio.
- The Lisof Honours allows the diversity for specialisation within a desired career-path due to the structure – thus a student who wants to go the design route won’t have to work through the modules that are not relevant to their career path, and vice-versa.
- The Lisof Honours has a flexible structure due to it being partly online – this means a student could be placed at any company nation-wide, and that the intranet modules can be completed at a time during the placement tenure that suits both student and host company.
- Lisof Honours students have been through a more stringent application process than other Honours degrees at other institutions thus, by default, they are stronger work-place candidates.
- Lisof students enjoy the benefit of the Lisof reputation and high standards we demand which includes the endorsement from South African retailers and designers of a highly academic and skilled student that can apply this knowledge to the development and sustainability of the business.
Apply today by sending your contact details to us, so that a consultant may be in touch: CLICK HERE
Are you interested?